2015 Educational Award Winners
of future academic achievement
1. These Awards are to be
known as the Ron Jones Educational Awards. They are to honour the
memory of a founder and long time dedicated worker for DATA, Mr Ronald
N Jones AOM.
2. The purpose of these Awards is to encourage scholastic achievement.
3. The Awards will be judged on scholastic ability exclusively
assessed by a panel of judges accepted by DATA. No correspondence will
be entered into.
4. An Applicant must be either a financial member of DATA with chronic
renal disease or a child of a financial member of DATA who has or did
have chronic renal disease
5. An applicant must have completed any of years 7 to 11 and may apply
for an Award by the end of June of the following year for presentation
at the AGM of that year
6. Assessment will be judged on an Applicant’s previous year’s full
school reports together with a 300-word hand written essay on the
topic of ‘My Chosen Career’. Failure of an Applicant to submit full
years’ reports may, in the discretion of the DATA Committee or the
Judges, result in the disqualification of that Applicant.
7. The amount to be expended each year will be $2000.00 and any amount
not expended in any one year will not be available for use in
Provided there are sufficient Applicants with merit, there will be:
a) One (1) Award of $800.00 based on demonstrated excellence and
b) Three (3) Awards of $400.00 each for encouragement of future
If, in any one-year, no Applicant demonstrates a sufficient degree of
excellence, the judges may, in their discretion, withhold the Award of
$800.00 based on excellence and scholastic ability. However,
irrespective of the standard of the Application and provided that
there are sufficiently qualified candidates, the judges must award
three (3) encouragement Awards.
8. Notice of the Awards will be advertised in at least three
subsequent editions of ShoeString starting in the November edition of
9. Applications will be printed in ShoeString and should be forwarded
to the DATA Office by 30 June. Late Applications will not be
10. Schedule of Deadlines for Applications and Judging.
Close of Applications: end of June.
Applications to Judges: last week of July.
Results from Judges: second week in September.
Advising Award Winners: 3 weeks before the AGM.
Presentation of Awards: at the AGM in October.
11. An Award winner cannot apply for another Award for another two (2)
years. An unsuccessful
Applicant can apply in subsequent years.
12. Awards will be presented to the successful Applicants at the AGM
of each year. Parents will be invited to bring the Award winner to the
AGM to receive a Certificate of Achievement or a Certificate of
13. The Awards will be presented by Mrs Elvie Jones, a Ron Jones
family member (i.e. Mark or Dirk) or the President
14. Privacy: No personal information given in an Application will be
available to anyone. The only exception to this rule will be that an
Applicant’s age, school reports (with the Applicant’s name and School
obliterated) and the essay will be available to Members of the Judging
Panel. Further, this exception will apply to a Sub-Committee
specifically nominated each year by the DATA Committee to process the
Award Applications. Those nominated persons will work in accordance
with all Privacy Laws applicable in Victoria.
Applications forwarded to the Judges will have a code of
identification known only to the nominated Sub-Committee.
17 Amendment: These Rules may be amended by a majority decision at any
validly constituted DATA Committee meeting provided that the Members
of the Committee have been given at least 7 days notice of the